Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Doing it my way and loving it

Well this is long overdue and unfortunately my plan to make regular notes fell through so this will start off with a quick update of my lake sessions which ended mid october and a few surprises were had as you will read .

First my health issues well I have now been back at work full time for last couple of months , I am limited to what I can do as I suffer from what the doc called " brain fog " , I cant work on moving conveyors with product on as my brain gets flustered and keeps resetting so I have been moved away from them and spend the shift in various sections trimming and deboning chicken sections or sorting and boxing products , it suits me just fine , very little pressure and nice and steady.

Fishing well after Lou's first fish on her weekly licence she decided she wanted to have a go at it full time , so full licence bought and a 2 rod set up sorted for her . To be honest am really proud of her as she has taken to it like a duck to water and while she only fished til beginning of october her results are astounding . Top rod on the lake finished with 50 carp but fished 3 nights a week from April til mid october , 2nd guy had 16 fish , 3rd was me with 11 and Lou 4th with an incredible 9 , I wont go into all the weights but they came in 8 commons from 8lb 4oz to her pb of 17.07 pictured below she also had 1 mirror of 13.01 . My 11 were made up of 6 commons and 5 mirrors the pick of which were a 16.05 and 16.06 taken within half hour of each other but the icing on the cake was my pb which came the same night as Lou's pb common and went 24.01 . In the same session as the 16lb mirrors I also had one of the lakes rare tench of 5.10 that came in the middle of a heavy rain storm .








So since mid october with the river been low my plan for staying on the carp changed as its been about 4 years since we had proper chub winter so back to the river now it was nice and quiet . Now my first 2 sessions resulted in my first river blanks in 3 years , the first was my own fault as I jumped in with both feet and used a single rod but picked the wrong bait , the second blank I actually missed 2 bites . My next session finally produced a chub 4.07 and ended the blanks but the next was another story , the river went into flood mode , now if you have followed my blog for a while you will know I love flood water fishing but despite fishing 3 of my favourite flood swims that have never failed me I never had a touch , no idea why but thats fishing . Then with the river only about 10 inch up I had one bite and missed it !!!!! So 4 blanks in 6 trips 3 of which could have been avoided . Since then I have had 6 sessions resulting in 15 chub between 3.06 and 5.14 plus a barbel of 10.04 all but one of these fish fell to my new recipe cheesepaste , I did have one heart breaker when the session I had the barbel and 3 other chub I suffered a hook pull at the net of a chub that was easily 7lb and would have been a new pb , on inspection I discovered the lobworm I had switched to had folded over the hook point .



My last trip was yesterday but was only for 3 or 4 hours , firstly Lou wanted to try and catch a roach so took her to Woodland Waters with a whip , fishing bread punch and liquidised bread , she managed 3 roach around 6oz , lost what looked like a decent perch and missed a few bites , which given the conditions and getting used to fishing that style she did well and enjoyed it . I then went off to the Trent and discovered 2 guys already on blanking , I later found out one of them was getting unhittable lightening quick bites , if it had been me I would have changed something . I only managed one bite but it was typical of the chub bites this winter , an initial tap followed by the rod hooping over and the line peeling off the baitrunner , they have also been fighting hard in fact until yesterdays went over the rim of the net I thought I had hooked a small barbel but was a pristine chub of 4.02 .



Well thats all the sessions for now but a few final words , my bait is nothing radical just with a bit of a twist , the thing that is radical is my terminal gear and method for delivery , now I am not gonna say anything else about it but one other person has hit on the same idea and getting same results , all I will say is if you have fished the Trent tidal or middle for alot of years then think back how we fished it before big feeders and heavy rods .

To finish one of the clubs I am in run a photo comp for the adults and kids , the winner of the kids gets a couple of donated prizes , I think this year it was a digital camera from one of the members and a rod from another . The adult winner gets a years free membership and the picture is used on the membership card for the following year . The committee pick 2 photos each and then the members vote for the winner . I think you can all guess that I won the adult one with this photo.


Its a good job I did win as Lou will be joining the club next year and we all reckon she will out catch me and only the bailiff will catch more .

My next session will be in the next couple of days and may involve me fishing a small local river that up to now I have only walked .

So until next time Tight Lines everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment