This will be a very short update to avoid me getting behind . I wont be able to get out for another 10 days but that could be the start of 3 sessions in quick succession . I went out sunday planning on a doing a session into night . I left home at 7pm for a half hour journey and made good time but after driving to several stretches of the Trent both middle and tidal and speaking to a few people and watching from a discreet distance , this sounds sneaky but some people do tend to try and mislead you , I tried a final spot close to my last session . I arrived as the bailiff was leaving but he still stopped for a chat by the time he had left I got my rods out it was 9pm and nearly dark . The river was flat calm and was alive with small fish but no sign of any decent fish rolling . After an hour of no indications the downstream double pellet rod tore off and I was connected a my first barbel and it was soon in the net , now in my haste to set up I forgot to get the camera set up and rather than leave the fish in the net too long I decided to quickly weigh and return it . On the scales it went 5lb 2oz , half hour later and the upstream rod starts nodding to indicate a bream has found my bait ,sliding it into the net it looked around 3lb and I unhooked and returned it without taking it out of the water .
The river was strangely quiet and despite having people around 100 yards either side of me I saw no sign them catching . I waited another half hour and with no further action I decided on a change and swapped the downstream rod from feeder to straight lead and the pellets was removed and one of my home made boillies put in its place . Within minutes I was getting strange knocks on the rod tip that never developed . I then took another barbel of 4lb 7oz on the upstream rod .
This was quickly followed by another of 4lb 3oz which I didnt bother photoing . The knocks , some quite savage continued on the boillie rod and as I was working later I decided to give it half hour more as it was 3am and needed at least a couple of hours sleep but felt I needed to make a change so went for shortening the hook length on the boillie rod . I began putting stuff away and had just finished putting away one rod when I had a bang on the boillie rod , I went and stood next to it and a series of taps and knocks started and as it was now 3.30am decided to take a chance and hit it and I connected with a fish that was oobviously not a barbel and after a very spirited fight on 12lb line I netted the fish , on putting my head torch on and peeling back the mesh of the net I discovered I had netted a decent size chub .On the scales it was a season high of 5lb exactly and doubly satisfying caught on my own bait .
Have heard reports from elsewhere that some have been having some quite sizeable barbel and others having multi catches so get the impression the fish are shoaling up again with the low clear river . I could have fished the same area I had my 2 multiple catches from but apart from liking to fish different areas I have another reason for leaving that area alone but wont divulge why out of respect for someone . So my search for my first double of the season contunes .
No comments:
Post a Comment